The Foreign Service
SECTION 20. Functions of Diplomatic Missions.—The Diplomatic Missions shall:
(1) Represent the Philippines abroad and promote friendly relations with other countries in all fields;
(2) Protect national interests and the interests of Filipino nationals abroad;
(3) Ascertain and evaluate conditions and developments abroad and report thereon to the Department Head;
(4) Serve as channels of communication between the Government of the Philippines and foreign governments; and
(5) Perform such other functions provided by law.
SECTION 21. Functions of Consular Establishments.—The consular establishments shall:
(1) Protect national interests abroad and promote foreign relations in all fields, particularly in the economic and trade areas;
(2) Ascertain and evaluate conditions and developments abroad in the commercial, economic, cultural and scientific fields and report thereon to the Department Head;
(3) Issue passports and travel documents to Filipino nationals, and visas or appropriate documents to foreign nationals desiring to travel to the Philippines;
(4) Protect the interests of Filipino nationals abroad, provide necessary services and assistance, and perform notarial functions allowed by regulations;
(5) Transmit judicial and extra-judicial documents and execute letters rogatory or commissions to receive evidence abroad for Philippine courts;
(6) Supervise and inspect in accordance with laws and regulations of the Philippines, vessels and aircrafts and their crews; and
(7) Perform such other functions as may be provided by law.