SECTION 5. Department Proper.—The Department Proper shall be composed of the Office of the Secretary, the Office for Management Services, the Office for Public Health Services, the Office for Hospital and Facilities Services, the Office for Standards and Regulations, and the Executive Committee for National Field Operations.
SECTION 6. Office of the Secretary.—The Office of the Secretary shall be composed of the Secretary of Health and his immediate staff; the Undersecretary acting as Chief of Staff in the Office of the Secretary; the Assistant Secretary for Legal Affairs; the Assistant Secretary for Financial, Operations and Front Line Services Audit; and the Staff Services for the Secretary.
SECTION 7. Duties of the Undersecretary Acting as Chief of Staff.—The Undersecretary acting as Chief of Staff in the Office of the Secretary, shall supervise the Assistant Secretary for Legal Affairs, the Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, and Front Line Services Audit, and the Staff Support Services to the Secretary; and head the secretariat of the Executive Committee for National Field Operations.
SECTION 8. Duties of the Assistant Secretary for Legal Affairs.—The Assistant Secretary for Legal Affairs shall head the office that shall provide the Secretary with legal advice on all policy, program and operational matters of the Department; act as Counsel for the Department in cases in which it is a party; handle administrative cases against Department personnel and submit recommendations pertaining thereto; and review legislative proposals.
SECTION 9. Duties of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Operation.—The Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, and Front Line Services Audit shall head the office that shall monitor the Department’s financial affairs, internal operations, and the delivery of frontline services with a view to assuring the integrity of the Department’s financial operations and the requirements of the Commission on Audit; optimizing the internal operating efficiency of the Department and its field offices; and ensuring that the Department’s constituencies are provided front line services from the Department with the adequacy, quality, and efficiency that they are entitled to.
SECTION 10. The Staff Support Services.—The following Staff Support Services shall undertake such staff services intended to assist the Secretary in performing his functions;
(1) Community Health Service which shall provide services related to formulating and implementing plans and programs for coordinating with local governments and non-government organizations in health related activities, programs and projects;
(2) Public Information and Health Education Service which shall provide services related to formulating and implementing plans, programs, and projects for public education on health and for the timely and accurate public communication of Department policy on health issues;
(3) Health Intelligence Service which shall provide services related to the formulation of disease intelligence, assessment of the state of health of the country and development and maintenance of effective and comprehensive health information systems to support planning and implementation of health programs;
(4) Internal Planning Service which shall provide the Department with necessary services related to planning, programming and project development;
(5) Foreign Assistance Coordination Service which shall provide staff services related to the development, coordination, monitoring, reporting and assessment of foreign-assisted projects of the Department.
SECTION 11. Undersecretaries.—The Secretary shall be assisted by five (5) Undersecretaries who shall exercise the following functions;
(1) Advise the Secretary in the promulgation of Department orders, administrative orders and other issuances;
(2) Exercise supervision and control over the offices, services, operating units and individuals under their authority and responsibility;
(3) Recommend the promulgation of rules and regulations, consistent with Department policies, that will effectively implement the activities of operating units under their authority and responsibility;
(4) Coordinate the functions and activities of the units under their authority with that of the Undersecretaries and regional health directors;
(5) Exercise delegated authority on substantive and administrative matters related to the functions and activities of agencies under their office to the extent granted by the Secretary through administrative issuances;
(6) Perform such other functions as may be provided by law or appropriately assigned by the Secretary.