Bureaus and Offices
SECTION 12. Bureau of Local Government Supervision.—The Bureau of Local Government Supervision, to be headed by a Bureau Director appointed by the President upon the recommendation of the Secretary, shall have the following functions:
(1) Advise and assist the Secretary in the exercise of the power of general supervision of the President over the local government units, particularly in the formulation and implementation of national laws, policies, and standards concerning local government operations and their personnel;
(2) Establish and prescribe guidelines for the administration of the Katarungang Pambarangay Laws;
(3) Monitor compliance with national laws and policies by local government units;
(4) Provide assistance in the preparation of national legislation affecting local government units and in the promotion of local autonomy;
(5) Extend consultation service and advice to local government units involved in promoting local autonomy; and
(6) Provide assistance to local governments in the promotion of citizens participation in local government activities;
(7) Provide technical and financial assistance, as well as secretariat services to the Leagues of Provinces, Cities, and Municipalities; and
(8) Perform such other functions as may be provided by law.
SECTION 13. Bureau of Local Government Development.—The Bureau of Local Government Development, to be headed by a Bureau Director appointed by the President upon the recommendation of the Secretary, shall have the following functions:
(1) Establish and prescribe plans, policies, programs, and projects to strengthen the administrative and technical capabilities of local government offices and personnel;
(2) Provide technical assistance to enhance the administrative, fiscal and technical capabilities of local government officers and personnel;
(3) Formulate, prescribe and periodically evaluate local development policies, plans, programs and projects designed to enhance the participation of local government units in planning and implementation;
(4) Establish a system of incentives and grants to local governments and prescribe policies, procedures and guidelines in the implementation of self-help assistance projects;
(5) Formulate and develop models, standards and technical materials on local government development;
(6) Extend consultation service and advice to local government units involved in development programs;
(7) Establish a viable system of strategies and approaches for local governments anchored on citizen participation within a wholistic and integrated framework for the development of communities; and
(8) Perform such other functions as may be provided by law.
SECTION 14. Office of Public Affairs.—The Office of Public Affairs shall have the following functions:
(1) Provide technical assistance in the modernization and maintenance of a Department-wide micro-telecommunications systems;
(2) Provide mechanisms for the operationalization of the intent of the provisions of public information, coverages and documentation of the activities of the Department;
(3) Perform functional supervision over regional information centers in providing the citizenry with relevant information on the program of the Department and the Government’s thrust towards the participation of the citizens in the democratic processes;
(4) Formulate plans and programs to implement the administrative and technical capabilities of public officers and personnel both on the central and regional levels;
(5) Establish and prescribe guidelines in the administration of Information and Public Assistance Services;
(6) Extend consultation services and advice in the implementation of Regional Information Services;
(7) Assess information needs of the people through opinion polls and surveys;
(8) Provide assistance on various public programs of the Department;
(9) Establish and implement policies, plans, programs and projects to meet local emergencies arising from natural and man-made disasters; and
(10) Perform such other duties and responsibilities and projects assigned or delegated by the Secretary in the effective delivery of public services or as may be required by law.
SECTION 15. Local Government Academy.—The Local Government Academy shall be responsible for human resource development and training of local government officials and Department personnel. The Academy shall be under the direct supervision of a Board of Trustees composed of the Secretary of Local Government as Chairman and four (4) other members to be appointed by the President upon recommendation of the Secretary. The structure and staffing pattern of the Local Government Academy shall be prescribed and approved by the Secretary.
SECTION 16. National Barangay Operations Office.—The National Barangay Operations Office which shall be headed by a Director to be appointed by the President upon the recommendation of the Secretary, shall have the following functions:
(1) Formulate policies, plans and programs that will promote community and citizen participation in the political development of the barangay through the mobilization and participation of barangay assemblies;
(2) Initiate projects on innovative barangay development strategies and approaches in close coordination with the Bureau of Local Government Development;
(3) Provide secretariat services to the Association of Barangay Councils and serve as a clearing house on matters affecting barangay officials’ insurance, hospitalization, educational and other benefits as provided by law;
(4) Provide continuing information dissemination to barangay units on national development efforts and issues in order for barangay assembly members to participate meaningfully in national development;
(5) Establish and maintain masterlists of barangays, barangay officials and barangay socio-economic profiles;
(6) Provide situational and political analysis for the Secretary on barangay affairs; and
(7) Perform other functions as may be delegated by the Secretary or as provided for by law.
SECTION 17. Office of Project Development Services.—The Office of Project Development Services shall have the following functions:
(1) Formulate innovative approaches and strategies designed to promote technical capabilities of local governments;
(2) Assist in the development of program components for the implementation of tested and appropriate systems and processes at the local levels; and
(3) Perform other functions as may be delegated by the Secretary or as provided by law.