SECTION 30. Attached Agencies.—The following agencies shall be attached to the Department: the Philippine National Science Society, the National Academy of Science and Technology, the Philippine Science High School, and the Metals Industry Research and Development Center.
SECTION 31. The Philippine National Science Society.—The Philippine National Science Society shall be a corporate body composed of prominent scientists and technical men and shall have the following functions:
(1) To stimulate research in the mathematical, physical, biological and other basic sciences and in the application of these sciences to engineering, agricultural, medicine, and other useful arts, with the object of increasing knowledge and of contributing in other ways to the public welfare;
(2) To give encouragement to individual initiative in research as fundamentally important to the advancement of science; and
(3) To gather and collate scientific and technical information at home and abroad, in cooperation with governmental and other agencies and to render such information available to duly accredited persons.
SECTION 32. Powers of the Philippine National Science Society.—The Philippine National Science Society shall have the power to:
(1) Make its own organization, including its Constitution, by-laws and rules and regulations;
(2) Fill all vacancies created by death, resignation or otherwise;
(3) Provide for the election of members, division into classes, and for all other matters needful or usual in such institutions;
(4) Receive bequests and donations and hold the same in trust, to be applied in aid of scientific investigations according to the will of the donors;
(5) Be exempt from the payment of all internal-revenue taxes, fees, assessments and other charges of the Government in carrying out its aims, functions, and powers;
(6) Submit an annual report to the Congress and to the President of the Philippines an accurate account of its works and activities during the corresponding fiscal year; and
(7) Perform such powers as may be provided by law or necessary to carry out its purposes and functions.
SECTION 33. The National Academy of Science and Technology.—The National Academy of Science and Technology shall be composed of outstanding scientists to serve as reservoir of competent and technological manpower for the country. The total membership of the Academy shall not exceed fifty (50) at any one time; however, this number may be increased by a two-thirds vote of all the members and approval thereof by the President.
The Academy shall have its own Secretariat/Administrative staff and shall have the following functions and powers:
(1) Provide its members the following benefits and privileges:
(a) free publications of scientific and technological works;
(b) travel support for attendance and participation in international conference; and
(c) such other incentives, financial or otherwise designed to promote a scientific and technological effort and achievement.
(2) Recommend annually for Presidential awards not more than ten (10) scientists for distinguished individual or collaborative achievement in science or technology who shall be accorded by the President the rank and title of “National Scientists.” Said “National Scientists” shall each be given gratuity in such amount to be fixed by the Academy and entitled to other privileges as enjoyed by the National Artists.
(3) Engage in other projects and programs designed to recognize outstanding achievements in science to promote scientific productivity.
SECTION 34. The Philippine Science High School.—The Philippine Science High School shall offer on a free scholarship basis a secondary course with special emphasis on subjects pertaining to the sciences with the end view of preparing its students for a science career. The exercise of its corporate powers is vested exclusively in the Board of Trustees and in the Director of the High School insofar as authorized by said Board. The Board of Trustees shall be composed of the Secretary of Science and Technology, who shall be ex officio Chairman of the Board, the Secretary of Education, who shall be ex officio Vice-Chairman, and the following members: the President of the University of the Philippines, the Chairman of the UNESCO National Commission of the Philippines, the Director of the Philippine Science High School, all ex officio members, a representative from the American-Philippine Science Foundation, Inc., to be designated by the President, one representative from the Philippine National Science Society, one representative from the National Academy of Science and Technology, one member representing industry, and one member representing agriculture.
The members of the Board representing the Philippine National Science Society, the National Academy of Science and Technology, Industry and Agriculture shall be appointed by the President of the Philippines upon the recommendation of the Secretary of Science and Technology.
SECTION 35. The Metals Industry and Research Development Center.—The Metals Industry and Research Development Center shall be a non-profit research and technological institution which shall provide both the government and the private sector with professional management and technical expertise on such vital activities for the development of the industry as training of engineers and technicians, information exchange, trade accreditation service, quality control and testing of metal products, research and business economic advisory services.
The Administration of the Center and the exercise of its corporate powers are vested exclusively in the Board of Trustees which shall be composed of the Secretary of Science and Technology, who shall be ex officio Chairman, the Secretary of Trade and Industry, who shall be ex officio Co-Chairman, and the following members: the Executive Director of the Philippine Council for Industry and Energy Research and Development, a representative each from the Department of Natural Resources, the National Economic and Development Authority, the Metals Industry Research and Development Center and three representatives from the metals, engineering and allied industries sub-sector to be appointed by the Secretary of Science and Technology.
The Center shall have the powers and functions assigned to it by law.