BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE PHILIPPINES
PROCLAMATION NO. 1743
DECLARING AUGUST OF EVERY YEAR AS “NATIONAL ELECTRIFICATION AWARENESS MONTH”
WHEREAS, total electrification is a national policy and is one of the government’s 10-point Agenda;
WHEREAS, the National Electrification Administration (NEA) together with the 119 Electric Cooperatives (ECs) nationwide, pursues the mandate of total electrification;
WHEREAS, NEA and the ECs play major roles in setting up a conducive environment for socio-economic development in the countryside;
WHEREAS, there is a need to create public awareness through intensified information campaign showcasing electrification programs and projects: (i) 8 million consumer-connections reached within the ECs franchise areas; (ii) 100% town/cities electrified; and (iii) 98% barangays energized, leaving 2% for energization this year;
WHEREAS, these programs and projects provide the necessary stimulus packages for livelihood and business opportunities to flourish, thereby improving the quality of life of the Filipinos in the rural areas;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, GLORIA MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, by virtue of the powers vested in me by law, do hereby declare August of every year as the “National Electrification Awareness Month”, to coincide with the anniversary of the National Electrification Administration, and do hereby enjoin all government corporations, government agencies, private electric distribution utilities, including the electric cooperatives to participate actively in the observance of this event and to give full publicity and recognition to the vital significance of the electrification program in nation building.
Local government units are likewise encourage to participate in the celebration and activities.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the Republic of the Philippines to be affixed hereto.
DONE in the City of Manila, this 16th day of March, in the year of Our Lord, Two Thousand and Nine.
(Sgd.) GLORIA MACAPAGAL-ARROYO
By the President:
(Sgd.) EDUARDO R. ERMITA