Official Week in Review: July 28 – August 3, 1963

Tags: ,

July 28.—PRESIDENT Macapagal exchanged views with United States Ambassador William E. Stevenson, who paid a courtesy call at Malacañang Sunday morning. During his call, the U.S. envoy took occasion to thank the President for his statement hailing the signing of the nuclear test ban treaty as a major breakthrough on disarmament.

The treaty had been signed by representatives of the U.S., the United Kingdom, and the Soviet Union in Moscow recently.

The Chief Executive spent most of the morning in his private study going over pending state papers.

He also conferred with Finance Secretary Rodrigo D. Perez, Jr., who called to consult him on matters affecting his department.

Shortly before noon the President heard mass at the Malacañang Chapel. Also at the mass were Mrs. Evangelina M. Macapagal and their children, Arturo and Gloria.

In the afternoon the President and the First Lady motored to Malolos, Bulacan, where they attended the proclamation of Liberal Party candidates of the province. They returned to Malacañang in the evening.

The President designated today Ambassador Librado D. Cayco as undersecretary of foreign affairs, vice Salvador P. Lopez, who was named yesterday secretary of foreign affairs.

Both career men, they were among the pioneers in the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Press Secretary Leoncio R. Paruñgao, Jr., said that both Cayco and Lopez will be inducted into office at 9:15 o’clock tomorrow morning at Malacañang by the Chief Executive.

July 29.—THIS morning President Macapagal inducted Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Salvador P. Lopez as Secretary of Foreign Affairs.

Secretary Lopez takes over the post vacated by Vice-President Emmanuel Pelaez, who resigned recently following Justice Secretary Salvador Marino’s expose on persons who had been involved with deported American businessman Harry S. Stonehill.

Also inducted by the Chief Executive was Ambassador Librado D. Cayco, who has been designated undersecretary of foreign affairs in place of Secretary Lopez. Both Lopez and Cayco are career men in the foreign service.

Present at the induction ceremonies held at the Malacañang reception hall were the First Lady; immediate members of the inductees’ families; Sen. Estanislao Fernandez; Ambassador Jose M. Arreglado; Ministers Rolando Garcia, Enrique Garcia, Pedro Ramirez, and Manuel Collantes; and a large group of other foreign affairs officials.

President Macapagal this afternoon led Philippine officialdom in welcoming Indonesian President Ahmed Sukarno and Malayan Premier Tunku Abdul Rahman, who arrived separately this afternoon for the tripartite summit talks on the Confederation of Malaysia.

The President left Malacañang at 12:35 p.m. for the Manila International Airport where he exchanged views and pleasantries for some time with members of the diplomatic corps and congressional leaders while waiting for the arrival of President Sukarno.

The plane was delayed about 40 minutes. The jet star presidential plane Irian bearing Sukarno landed at 1:15 p.m., while the KLM Royal Dutch Airliner bearing Rahman touched down at 3:45 p.m.

Also on hand to welcome the two Asian leaders as they came down were Vice-President Emmanuel Pelaez, Senate President Ferdinand Marcos, and Majority Floor Leader Salipada K. Pendatun.

Wearing his grey military uniform, a black fez, and dark glasses with swagger stick in hand, Sukarno waved to the crowd present as he went down the plane’s ramp smiling.

President Macapagal and the Indonesian President bear-hugged each other as the latter set foot on the ground. Shortly afterwards the two Chiefs of State were rendered military honors, including a 21-gun salute, by a composite battalion of the Armed Forces of the Philippines under the command of Col. Jose Evangelista.

Then they went along the lines of members of the Cabinet and the diplomatic corps, as well as members of the local Indonesian community, to acknowledge their greetings. President Macapagal and Sukarno rode together in the presidential car to the residence of the late President Jose P. Laurel on Shaw Boulevard, Mandaluyong, Rizal, where Sukarno will stay for the duration of the summit conference.

Among those in the party of Sukarno was Deputy First Minister and Foreign Minister Raden Subandrio.

From the Laurel residence, where he chatted briefly with Sukarno, the Chief Executive motored to Malacañang before proceeding again to the MIA to welcome Prime Minister Rahman. The Malayan Premier emerged from the plane wearing a dark suit with a white dotted necktie to match.

Among those in his party were Khaw Kai Boh, minister without portfolio, and Ghazali bin Shafie, permanent secretary for external affairs.

After military honors rendered by the same composite battalion of the AFP, and after greeting the welcomers present, the President and the Premier boarded the presidential car for the Manila Hotel, where the Malayan leader will stay while attending the summit conference. Sizeable crowds lined the separate routes of the two visiting heads of state.

The President was back at Malacañang at 5 o’clock in the afternoon.

President Macapagal directed today Civil Aeronautics Administrator Vicente Rivera, Jr., to send two CAA investigators to Bombay, India. They will help determine the cause of the air crash that reportedly killed 63 persons, including 23 Filipino boy scouts en route to the 11th World Scout Jamboree in Greece.

The President, immediately upon receiving world of the mishap, had directed the Department of Foreign Affairs to submit periodic reports, and Secretary of Foreign Affairs Salvador P. Lopez had promptly cabled Ambassador Mauro Calingo in New Delhi to do so.

Families of the boy scouts are asked to contact Sen. Estanislao Fernandez, who has been designated special coordinator of administration operations as a result of the accident.

July 30.—THIS morning the President received President Sukarno and the Tunku separately when they made their courtesy calls on the Chief Executive.

Mr. Sukarno assured the President that 60 Indonesian dancers will come to the Philippines. President Macapagal, on the other hand, told Mr. Sukarno that the famed Bayanihan dancers will go to Indonesia to perform in connection with the coming Merdeka Day.

The President also had breakfast with Marton Rosen and Char Dajany of the International Finance Corporation and Jorge Palacio of the World Bank. Palacio left this afternoon after a 10-day survey of the business conditions in the country.

Dressed in coat-and-tie, an unusual presidential getup for President Macapagal in Manila, the President motored to the Luna Hall of the foreign affairs office this afternoon where he opened the five-day Summit.

His opening-day address keynoted the meeting as he called for pooled efforts among the leaders of the three nations for a “common destiny.”

With the President were his son, Arturo, and daughter, Gloria.

Upon his arrival at the foreign affairs office, the Chief Executive was met by newly-appointed Foreign Affairs Secretary Salvador P. Lopez and Ambassador Manuel Zamora, Malacañang protocol officer.

The President was led to the office of the foreign affairs secretary as President Sukarno of Indonesia and Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman of Malaya came later for the opening ceremony.

The three Asian leaders met at the office of Secretary Lopez where light refreshments were served.

President Macapagal ascended the rostrum first, followed by President Sukarno, and then by Prime Minister Rahman.

Vice-President Emmanuel Pelaez was present.

This evening President Macapagal tendered a state dinner in honor of President Sukarno and Prime Minister Rahman in Malacañang.

Press Secretary Leoncio R. Paruñgao, Jr., said that Vice-President Pelaez declined an invitation to the affair.

President Macapagal issued today two proclamations setting aside portions of the government center reservation in Baguio City for building sites of the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals.

The parcel of land reserved for offices and session hall of the Supreme Court in the Pines City consists of 7,808 square meters, while that set aside for offices of the Court of Appeals comprises 3,998 square meters.

The reservations were made on the recommendation of Agriculture Secretary Benjamin Gozon.

July 31.—PRESIDENT Macapagal sat down today with President Sukarno of Indonesia and Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman of Malaya in the first of a five-day series of talks on common problems. The session, which was held at the Council of State room in Malacañang, lasted from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

With the heads of state in their meeting were their respective ministers; namely, Foreign Affairs Secretary Salvador P. Lopez of the Philippines, Foreign Minister Raden Subandrio of Indonesia, and Minister Khaw Kai Boh of Malaya.

During the conference President Sukarno and the Tunku expressed gratitude for the untiring efforts of President Macapagal in bringing about the summit conference in Manila. The three chiefs of state reaffirmed their determination to establish closest cooperation among their countries.

Before they broke up their morning session, the heads of government decided not to meet in the afternoon as scheduled. They agreed to continue their discussions at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

The President conferred with Secretary Lopez prior to the start of the meeting at 10 a.m.

About 9:45 a.m. the President proceeded to the music room, where he received the Tunku. About five minutes later the Malayan Premier and the President were joined by President Sukarno and they all repaired to the Council of State room in the Executive Building, where they met for two and one-half hours.

The Chief Executive worked on pending state papers in the afternoon.

August 1.—PRESIDENT Macapagal today took advantage of the lull in the summit talks by working on pending state papers.

The Chief Executive was scheduled to meet for the second time today with President Sukarno of Indonesia and Premier Rahman of Malaya. The closed-door summit talks were, however, postponed pending the termination of the conference among the foreign ministers of the three Asian countries which was held today at the Department of Foreign Affairs.

The change in schedule enabled the President to devote his time on pending papers, while making himself available for consultation by Philippine representatives at the ministerial conference.

This morning the Chief Executive had a brief meeting with Foreign Affairs Secretary Salvador P. Lopez at Malacañang.

He also conferred with Executive Secretary Rufino G. Hechanova on various matters, including the extension of assistance to families of the boy scouts who died in the plane crash off Bombay.

The President ordered the Armed Forces to place a PAF plane at the disposal of the government committee in charge of assisting the families of the boy scouts who died in the plane crash off Bombay.

The President’s order was transmitted by Executive Secretary Rufino G. Hechanova to Defense Secretary Macario Peralta, Jr., early this morning. The President directed the defense secretary to have the air plane available to airlift the bodies of the victims to the Philippines, if necessary.

August 2.—PRESIDENT Macapagal today met for the second time with Indonesian President Ahmed Sukarno and Malayan Premier Tunku Abdul Rahman in continuation of their summit talks.

The three heads of state met for about a half hour beginning 12:30 p.m. at the council of state room. With them at the conference table were Foreign Affairs Secretary Salvador P. Lopez, Malayan Minister Khaw Kai Boh, and Indonesian Deputy First Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Raden Subandrio.

The scheduled summit talks notwithstanding, the President kept his weekly date with the common man by attending to about half of the 1,537 men and women who trooped to Malacañang. Assisted by the First Lady and a host of Palace assistants, the Chief Executive started receiving his callers at 8:30 o’clock in the morning.

At 11:50 a.m. the President turned over his chair to Deputy Budget Commissioner Amable Aguiluz in order to meet with Premier Rahman and President Sukarno, who had arrived for their second summit session.

When they arrived, Rahman and Sukarno had a glimpse of the President’s rigorous weekly meeting with the people, with hundreds of people still waiting to see the Chief Executive. They were accorded a big hand by the lines of people in front of the Palace.

Rahman and Sukarno waved back in acknowledgement of their cheers. Sukarno went some lengths down the line of callers as he waved back at them.

The two Asian leaders were received by the President at the music room, where he presented them with gifts of barong Tagalog. After a while they repaired to the Council of State room to resume their summit talks.

At past 1 o’clock in the afternoon, the President had lunch with Rahman and Sukarno, together with Secretary Lopez, Minister Khaw, and Minister Subandrio.

In the course of his meeting with the general public this morning, the President received a delegation of some 100 parents and relatives of boy scouts and scouters who perished in the recent plane crash off Bombay, who thanked him and Mrs. Macapagal for the concern they had shown over the fate of their children and for the assistance they had extended to them.

The grieving families were accompanied to Malacañang by Fernando E. V. Sison, national scout executive, and Sen. Estanislao Fernandez, chairman of a special committee in charge of assisting the families of the boy scouts.

In the evening the President and the First Lady, together with Sukarno and Rahman, tendered a joint reception at Malacañang.

August 3.—PRESIDENT Macapagal and Premier Tunku Abdul Rahman of Malaya today set aside matters of state and played a round of golf at the Malacañang golf course. The two heads of state played four balls with Senate President Ferdinand Marcos and Senator Estanislao Fernandez.

The President and the visiting Malayan Premier teed off at 6:45 o’clock this morning, with Senate President Marcos and Senator Fernandez following suit minutes later. They completed only four holes because other greens at the Malacañang fairway are not playable.

The President, using the golf clubs which the Tunku had given as a gift, fared well in the greens, scoring only four strokes behind the Premier. Premier Rahman carded 24 and Sen. Fernandez 19 while Senate President Marcos won with a 17 score.

Afterwards, the Tunku went swimming at the Malacañang Park swimming pool while the President went back to the Palace.

The President, together with the First Lady and their daughter, Gloria, motored to the Manila International Airport this afternoon to join a big crowd of parents and relatives who met the remains of three Boy Scouts who had perished in a plane crash with 20 fellow scouts off Bombay on July 28 en route to the 11th World Jamboree in Greece.

The President also sent off a token three-man Philippine delegation to the scout jamboree which left on an Air France jetliner. Given a warm send-off by the Chief Executive were Scouts Nicasio Fernandez, Guillermo Flores, and Louis Santiago.

The President this day granted a new reprieve of 15 days to Policarpio Tiongson y Garcia, who had been convicted of robbery with homicide and sentenced to death by the Manila court of first instance.

This was the third reprieve granted the condemned man. It was recommended by the Board of Pardons and Parole, which needed more time “for a careful and thorough study of the prisoner’s petition for executive clemency.”

The first reprieve was for 30 days and the second for 15 days. This last 15-day stay of execution expires on August 19.

Tiongson, together with Mauricio Navarro, had been given the death penalty for robbing a watch and jewelry store in downtown Manila and killing the Chinese showpowner on October 19, 1958.

Navarro’s appeal for executive clemency had been granted by the President, by commuting his sentence to life imprisonment.

Source: National Library of the Philippines

Office of the President of the Philippines. (1963). Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines, 59(31), ccxlv-ccxlix.