BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE PHILIPPINES
PROCLAMATION NO. 824
DECLARING THE YEAR 1992 AS PRESIDENT MANUEL A. ROXAS CENTENNIAL YEAR IN CONSONANCE WITH THE DECADE ON FILIPINO NATIONALISM AND DESIGNATING THE NATIONAL HISTORICAL INSTITUTE (NHI) TO TAKE CHARGE OF THE CELEBRATION
WHEREAS, the year 1992 marks the centennial of the birth of the late Manuel A. Roxas, the first President of the Republic of the Philippines and one of the foremost leaders and statesmen of our people;
WHEREAS, President Roxas spent his lifetime serving our country and people as Governor of the Province of Capiz, member and later Speaker of the House of Representatives, delegate to and one of the “seven wise men” of the 1935 Constitutional Convention, Senator and later President of the Senate, Secretary of Finance, and the last President of the Commonwealth and the first President of the Republic of the Philippines from 1946 to 1948 when he died in office;
WHEREAS, President Roxas was instrumental in peacefully achieving our independence from the United States as a sovereign nation as a leading member of several independence missions, notably the “Os-Rox” mission;
WHEREAS, President Roxas also served our country with great distinction in war as a Brigadier General in the Philippine Army and actively led and supported the guerilla movement during World War II;
WHEREAS, in his brief term as President of the Philippines President Roxas instituted the nation’s economic rehabilitation efforts after World War II and laid the foundations of many of the governmental institutions we now have today;
WHEREAS, it is important that the invaluable contributions of this great leader to the political emancipation of our people and the rebuilding of our nation be inculcated in the minds of our citizenry, particularly the youth of the land;
WHEREAS, it is imperative that the spirit of service and self sacrifice demonstrated by President Roxas should always be remembered by the present and future generations of Filipinos;
WHEREAS, it is of prime importance that the heroic deeds and unquestioned loyalty and patriotism of this man from Capiz should be emulated;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, CORAZON C. AQUINO, President of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested in me by law, do hereby declare the year 1992 as PRESIDENT MANUEL A. ROXAS CENTENNIAL YEAR in consonance with the Decade of Filipino Nationalism and designate the National Historical Institute, in coordination with the President Manuel A. Roxas Foundation. Inc., to take charge of the celebration and to undertake the following activities:
1. Prepare the general program of the Centennial and submit a copy of the same to the President of the Philippines for her information;
2. Promote and direct commemorative celebrations throughout the Philippines, especially in municipalities, schools and places named after the late President Roxas;
3. Collect, edit and publish the important works, articles, speeches and state papers of President Roxas that have not yet been published;
4. Commission a biography, writings, and books about the late President Roxas;
5. Erect fitting and inspiring monuments, markers, or memorial buildings in honor of the late President Roxas in the appropriate and proper places;
6. Restore the birth place and other places which are significant to the life and times of the late President Roxas;
7. Coordinate with the Postal Services Office and the Central Bank relative to the issuance of commemorative stamps and coins and cause the issuance of commemorative medals for the Roxas Centennial;
8. Prepare a documentary film of the life and times of the late President Roxas;
9. Initiate and sponsor the holding of an International History Conference at the University of the Philippines to evaluate the contributions of Manuel A. Roxas in the development of the Filipino nation;
The National Historical Institute in coordination with the President Manuel A. Roxas Foundation, Inc. may constitute committees composed of representatives from other government offices and the private sector in undertaking the above mentioned activities.
The National Historical Institute may constitute an Executive Committee in under taking the above-mentioned activities.
The National Historical Institute is authorized to accept and receive gifts or donations and other conveyances of funds, materials and services gratuitously for use for the furtherance of the above-mentioned activities subject to the Provisions of Presidential Decree No. 373.
The National Historical Institute is likewise empowered to call on any department, bureau, office or agency of the government including government-owned or controlled corporations for such assistance as it may need in the discharge of its functions relative to the centenary celebration.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the Republic of the Philippines to be affixed.
Done in the City of Manila, this 30th day of October, in the year of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and ninety-one.
(Sgd.) CORAZON C. AQUINO
By the President:
(Sgd.) FRANKLIN M. DRILON