BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE PHILIPPINES
PROCLAMATION NO. 884
DECLARING 1992 AS THE CENTENNIAL YEAR OF THE FOUNDING OF THE KATIPUNAN IN CONSONANCE WITH THE DECADE OF FILIPINO NATIONALISM AND DESIGNATING THE NATIONAL HISTORICAL INSTITUTE AND THE CITY GOVERNMENT OF MANILA TO TAKE CHARGE OF THE COMMEMORATION THEREOF
WHEREAS, 1992 marks the centenary year of the Katipunan or KKK, a society of the Kataastaasan Kagalanggalangan Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan (Highest and Respectable Association of the Sons of the people);
WHEREAS, on July 7, 1892, the three radical Filipino patriot, Andres Bonifacio, Teodoro Plata and Ladislao Diwa, founded the Katipunan in Tondo, Manila, on the same date when Rizal’s banishment to Dapitan was made public;
WHEREAS, Andres Bonifacio, the Supremo and Father of the Katipunan, led the Philippine Revolution of 1896, the first national liberation struggle of the Filipinos, for Philippine Independence;
WHEREAS, it is necessary to instill in the hearts and minds of the Filipino people the spirit of nationalism and the ideals of liberty for which our great heroes unselfishly dedicated themselves for that struggle for independence;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, CORAZON C. AQUINO, Preisdent of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested in me by law, do hereby declare 1992 as Centennial Year of the Founding of the Katipunan (Kataastaasang Kagalanggalangan Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan), in consonance with the Decade of the Filipino Nationalism, and designate the National Historical Institute and the City Government of Manila to take charge of the following activities:
1. Prepare the general program of the centenary and submit a copy of the same to the President of the Philippines;
2. Promote and direct commemorative celebrations throughout the country;
3. Collect, edit and publish the important works, articles about the Katipunan and the speeches of the founder and co-founders that have not yet been published;
4. Install fitting and inspiring monuments and markets or memorials in honor of the founder of the Katipunan;
5. Coordinate with the Postal Services Office for the issuance of commemorative stamps, and cause the issuance of commemorative medals for the centennial year of the founding of the Katipunan;
6. Designate a site whereon to construct a shrine of the founder, Andres Bonifacio, and mark the original site of the Founding of the Katipunan in Tondo, Manila; and
7. Prepare a documentary film on the Founding of the Katipunan.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the Republic of the Philippines to be affixed.
Done in the City of Manila, this 1st day of April in the year of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and ninety two.
(Sgd.) CORAZON C. AQUINO
By the President:
(Sgd.) FRANKLIN M. DRILON