Three PH airports made it to the Guide to Sleeping in Airports’ list of the 30 best airports in Asia, namely: Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA), which landed in 18th place; Iloilo Airport, which was ranked 21st; and Clark International Airport, which snagged the 24th place.
MCIA has been getting recognition for its vastly improved services and facilities after evident upgrades were implemented by GMR-Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (GMCAC). These improvements were:
- Replacement of worn-out interiors such as counters, lighting, and ceiling boards
- Reconfiguration of the check-in lobby and waiting areas to free up more space
- Improved resort airport theme design, with abundant plant arrangement interiors
- Provision of new seats and furniture for added comfort
- Upgrading security procedures to lessen passenger queuing
- Construction of a greeter’s area
- Installation of new equipment, such as self-service check-in kiosks
Photos of Clark International Airport
“This is just the beginning of our airport modernization efforts. The coming years will certainly be exciting as world-class terminals will rise in Mactan-Cebu and Clark; a new international airport will be opened in Panglao and a vastly-improved airport will be launched in Puerto Princesa; and the Davao, Iloilo, Bacolod, and Laguindingan airports will be expanded and their operations upgraded,” remarked Department of Transportation and Communications Secretary Jun Abaya.
Photos of Mactan-Cebu International Airport